1.7

Lifetouch took all the photos for my college graduation. The photos were mediocre at best; the lighting was off and the photos were in desperate need of some photoshop adjustment (based on other reviews I decided not to leave the photoshop adjustment in their hands).

Mediocre photographers aside, the worst part of the experience was attempting to order photos from their website. That part was a real headache. There were at least 200 pages of photos to comb through as they combined all three graduations at my university into one disorganized mess of photos spread out among these pages, with the diploma/handshake shots at the end of the group. Their sort did not work well, and I wound up paging through all the pages in order to find the 3 or 4 photos that I was actually in.

When it came time to add them to the cart, I thought that I would be able to add all 3 or 4 and continue with the checkout process as per any normal online shopping experience. But no. In order to add them to the cart, I would have to go to whichever page in the hundreds, add the one single photo, select how I want that photo, and then start all over again and the very beginning of the photos to get to the next photo. And one may wonder, "why didn't you just jump to page 120 rather than page through?" Because you couldn't.

The pagination listed probably the first 7 pages, and you could click on page 7, and then you could jump a couple pages ahead, and then another couple pages, and so on until you were on page one hundred and something. After finding the photos and getting ready to checkout, I had a few questions about the website and the checkout process, as it was somewhat confusing. Along with one other question about digital copies, I asked them specifically if there was an easier way to search an individual photo if you've already noted the photo number. They casually chose to ignore this question, not once, but twice.

Their customer service was exceptionally unhelpful. When it came time to select how I wanted the photos, all I really wanted was a digital copy of each so I could edit them myself and print it at a specific size for a special graduation photo collage frame I had. They were close to $50 each for a digital copy, which was ridiculous. I emailed asking if it would at least be a raw photo file for editing purposes.

They actually said yes, but I still had my doubts if they actually knew what I was talking about, and $50 is still very overpriced for a digital copy, so I decided to order a couple prints. They offered a variety of print sizes and fancy frames or borders to boot, and in order to find some of the basic ones you had to search through these first. I didn't want a print one, as the photos so desperately needed editing, but because of the overpriced digital copy, I ordered one larger version of the graduation shot itself, and two other candid shots as 5x7s. It ultimately cost significantly less than having to order three digital copies where I couldn't trust what file type they'd actually give me nor what quality it would be.

(They just said "digital copy" without saying anything along the lines of "jpg file printable to ?x? size" etc). I decided to scan it at a high quality and edit them myself once they arrived. They even had the gall to include their watermark in the bottom corner of my print photos.

Will absolutely be erasing that watermark with photoshop, as I want nothing to do with them. All I can say is don't ever use them if you can avoid it, and if you find out you are left with the misfortune of having them photograph your college graduation, make sure you invite a friend or family member with a semi decent camera.

Even a regular digital point and shoot set to automatic can take a better picture than what they took. Most people I graduated with didn't even bother buying pictures at all because they were so overpriced and mediocre photos.

Comments